Are you a teenager that wants to make money on your terms? Doordash might seem like an easy way for anyone, including those under 18 years of age, to get started. Unfortunately, though, it’s not as simple as it seems, and if you’re 17 or below, you won’t be able to apply with the delivery service. Even still, there are some ways that teens can work around this restriction and start bringing home some extra cash. Read on to find out more.
Can You DoorDash at 17?
Unfortunately, aspiring Dashers who are 17 years old will have to wait a bit longer before they can join the DoorDash platform. The company maintains a strict age requirement, which mandates that individuals must be at least 18 years old to become a Dasher. This policy ensures that all drivers meet legal obligations and are eligible to work as independent contractors.
While it may be disappointing for younger individuals eager to start earning, the age requirement is in place to protect both the company and its Dashers. In the meantime, 17-year-olds can explore alternative job opportunities or consider preparing for a future in delivery services by familiarizing themselves with the DoorDash app, vehicle requirements, and their local delivery zones.
Preparing to Doordash When You Are 17
As a matter of fact, DoorDash does require Dashers to be at least 18 years old. Here’s a guide on how to get started with DoorDash once you reach the age of 18:
To begin your journey as a Dasher, visit DoorDash’s website or download their mobile app. Sign up with your personal details, making sure to provide accurate information. Once you’re all set, let’s dive into the step-by-step process of becoming a Dasher.
- Check eligibility: Before applying, ensure that you meet the following criteria: at least 18 years old, possess a valid driver’s license, have valid auto insurance, and own a smartphone (iOS or Android).
- Complete the application: Fill out the online application form, which includes your name, email address, phone number, and the city where you plan to work. You’ll also be asked for your Social Security number for background check purposes.
- Consent to a background check: DoorDash requires all Dashers to undergo a background check, which includes a review of their driving and criminal records. You’ll need to provide consent for this process during the application.
- Attend an orientation: In some areas, DoorDash holds in-person or virtual orientations for new Dashers. This session will provide essential information about the platform, delivery process, and best practices.
- Get your Dasher gear: After your application is approved, you’ll receive a Dasher activation kit containing a hot bag, a Red Card (used for some orders), and an orientation handbook. Some markets may require you to pick up the kit in person, while others will mail it to you.
- Set up direct deposit: To receive your earnings, you must provide DoorDash with your bank account information. This ensures that your payments are processed smoothly and securely.
- Install the Dasher app: Download the Dasher app on your smartphone and sign in with your DoorDash credentials. This app is your gateway to accepting and completing deliveries.
- Start dashing: With everything in place, you’re ready to hit the road! Open the Dasher app, set your availability, and begin accepting delivery orders in your area.
By following these steps, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a successful Dasher once you turn 18. Enjoy the flexibility and freedom of earning money on your terms with DoorDash!
All in all, when it comes to doing DoorDash at 17, unfortunately, the answer is no. The fact remains that anyone seeking to be a driver for DoorDash must be 18 years old or older. Despite this setback, a variety of options are still available for teenagers who wish to make money. For example, they may look into jobs that require manual labour, such as landscaping or scrapyard work. If they’d prefer something more creative, there are always businesses hiring passionate bloggers or freelancers in many industries.